Monday, August 3, 2009

Part 3 - The ENT Clinic

Day 9 - Friday, July 31

My sister Amanda stayed over in Hamilton on Thursday night to drive me to the ENT clinic in Toronto. (Thanks Amanda!) I woke up sleeping on my good ear and my bedroom was so quiet. I still felt hopeful though - today, I was sure they'd tell me good news and they'd be able to flush my ear or something to get my hearing back!

We got to St Mike's around 9 am. I was only slightly dizzy - mostly when going up or down stairs. Everyone at the hospital was great to deal with - they were friendly, professional, efficient and kind. We met with a resident Dr who was very nice, and did several tests of my ears and listened to the whole story, asking questions and really paying attention to what I was telling her. It was the first time I felt like a doctor was really listening.

They sent me for a full hearing test - I had tubes inserted into my ears, some sort of band on my head, and was locked into a soundproof room. I was told to press a button whenever I heard a beep. This was too much of a photo op to pass up, so I said "My sister has got to take a picture of me like this!" She did, after the test - it's hard to see the tubes but they're there!
I could tell for the first little while that the only beeps I was hearing were in my left ear. Then the test changed, so that I heard a rushing sound in my left ear and I had to listen for beeps in the right. I was straining so hard to hear a beep, sitting on the edge of my seat, eyes wide open, listening with every muscle in my body. I actually did hear a few - and I felt them vibrate through my head - I swear, I nearly fell off the chair! Surely this was a positive sign!!! It was the first thing I had heard, other than the constant ringing, in 9 days!

The next part of the test was a voice, telling me to repeat words. First, the voice was all in my left ear, and of course, it was no problem. Then, after 5 words, there was complete silence. I was telling myself that they hadn't played the right ear yet... but then the door opened and the test was over. I hadn't heard any of the voice in my right ear.
The Audiologist reviewed the results with me, explaining that I had "profound" hearing loss in my right ear, but that I had heard a few of the very loud, high tones in that ear. She gave me a copy of the results, and told me the Doctor would see me shortly. She directed us to a bench in a hallway where we waited fo the Doctor.
Dr. Molly Zirkle met us in the hallway, and right away said she was so sorry for everything I had gone through. Right away, she put us at ease and I felt better. She explained that she did not think I had Meniere's (yay) but that I had a viral infection that had cause the hearing loss. She said it randomly happens to 1/100,000 people, and that nothing I had done caused it or could have prevented it. She also explained that if I had been there within 72 hours of the hearing loss, there was a good probability that I would get the hearing back. (More about this later because I am sooo frustrated with our medical system!!!) She said that we could still try, but that there were several side effects with the drugs that we would use, but that if it was her, she would probably want to do anything she could to get her hearing back. I agreed.
She then explained that she would be putting me on a 15 day cycle of steroids, and that it was absolutely essential that I take them exactly as directed or they can cause serious health issues. Some of the side effects that I might experience included mood swings, jitters, restlessness, handling stress differently, and th possibility of loss of blood flow to a limb or extremity - this could happen within a year of taking them. She also had to prescribe a separate medication to protect the lining of my stomach from the Prednisone. I took the prescription and asked what the prognosis was. The doctor explained that the prognosis for my hearing was "Guarded" due to the length of time it had been, but that I was young, so that was on my side. She said that my body would adapt to the dizziness and that for the most part, that wouldn't bother me unless I was doing a unique activity like trying to walk across a log.
She also explained that I needed to come back for an MRI to make sure there wasn't a growth causing this. They will call me when that is booked.
I left St Michaels, determined that the prednisone was going to work - I was definitely going to get my hearing back - after all, I'd heard a few beeps, and I was young!!
We drove back to Oakville and stopped to pick up the prescription. I had to take 60 mg for 5 days, then 40 for 4 days, then tapeering off for 2 days at a time until I was down to nothing. We decided to have lunch and I took my first dose. 12 pills... and they are the most bitter tasting pills ever!
So, day 9 was prednisone day one. And new hope that my hearing would come back now that it was being treated. Thinking positive thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment